Thomas, Andrew, and I returned from a wonderful trip to my hometown of Preston, Idaho recently. We spent about a week and a half away. During our trip, we were there for Preston's big annual three day spectacular of parade, carnival, and rodeo. As a kid, nothing was better than this long-awaited time of the year. The rodeo is always a highlight, as it is tradition for my dad and me to go together every year. Although, I must say, I realized this year that it was much better as a kid. They just don't do intermission entertainment anymore at "That Famous Preston Night Rodeo". Maybe the beginning of the end was the year that a parachuter was supposed to land in the arena, but tragically landed on the power lines instead. (And died.)
I will never forget the show of all shows the year they had a man, his trick horse, and a little monkey and sheep dog act. Think of Ross's Marcel dressed in a cowboy hat and shirt riding on the back of a sheep dog around the arena doing tricks. Oh, yes, life was never better. I wish I still had my poster of the monkey/dog act that I kept plastered on my wall above my bed.
I was happily surprised to see that they did bring back the Mutton-Bustin' event, though. For those of you who don't know, they throw little kids on the backs of sheep and they have to hang on for dear life as the sheep takes off in to the arena to find the rest of the flock. It is hysterical, and the kid who hangs on the longest gets a trophy that is literally bigger than them! That event had been cancelled for several years after my cousin Marnie's kid fell off a sheep and knocked himself out.

It's not much, but it's all I know!
Off to the left (with the cowboy hat that makes it way out of the closet every year at this time) is my dad, my sister Denise, my two nieces Sierra and Kendall, and in front me, my sister Cami, and brother-in-law Mike. Not pictured: Ryan, who is taking the picure.Oh, yeah, one of the funnest parts of the trip was that Ryan and my brother-in-law (who is a pilot) borrowed a plane and flew up to Preston to surprise us for a couple days!

This is Thomas riding a Smurf scooter that was mine when I was that age!
Thomas thought it was pretty fun walking between the rows of corn in the garden.
Grandma and Andrew
Happy parade viewers

My dad, as city council president, off to the right riding in the parade with the mayor and another member of the city council. I'm so proud! :)



3 comments:
Sounds like fun. Glad to hear you had a great time. That is such a cute picture of Thomas in the Corn.
OH Damn! I have tried to post a comment on here like 3 times and it hasn't worked. Here I go again...I love the pictures. Andrew looks so much like Thomas. Plus I have decided that you need to post pictures on here for me at least once a week! I hate that we don't live by each other, your babies are going to be old before I see them again.
Do you like that I swear on your blog :) I do. And you are going to hear more, and worser swear words if you don't post more damn pictures of your kids! (I warned you about the swearing) You better post more on your blog...or else :) Love you and miss you. I hate living far away from you. It bugs me.
Oh and Barack for President, haha. I totally posted a reply to you on my blog, at least I think it was you because my sister Terri can't spell. Love you bye.
Post a Comment